Friday, August 19

In Times Of Need


Other than work, today was spent preparing for my cousin’s funeral tomorrow. Her passing is a tragic loss to our family, friends and neighbours.  She was the youngest relative who valued relationships, made a concerted effort to know her roots and always trying to puzzle a puzzle on how our massive family tree came together. Her constant questioning lead to her establishing that a close friend of mine, who I had been hanging out with since the late 90s, is actually a cousin.

I digress, but maybe the context is necessary. When I rock up at my aunt’s place in Rockville, Soweto it is buzzing with activity. After the greetings I busied myself with the preparation of the food for tomorrow. The level of organization was outstanding even without a project leader. The ladies came armed with their knives, bowls, buckets and pots. We had a group for preparing the vegetables another group organizing the meat, others washing the dishes and those feeding us. The men put up the marquees and generally hung around to do any heavy lifting. Even the kids knew to play in the street so everyone could room. It’s also understood who only came to assist today, who is going to the funeral service tomorrow and who will stay behind to ensure everyone gets a cooked meal.

The sense of community really moved me. My cousin’s surviving siblings needed not lift a finger if they didn’t want to because we there for them. I know don’t have that resolute support in the burbs. I have friends and family who love me deeply but where I live I am not surrounded ‘back opposite’, ‘front opposite’ and next neighbours who will assist in my family’s time of need. Truly speaking I am not entirely that neighbour either which is a pity. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment