Friday, November 11

Unfinished Business (Image Updated)


My peeps and I were invited to the opening night of Monkey Nuts at Joburg Theatre yesterday.  Matthew Ribnick came through with front row seats I found out when I opened the envelope! The creator of the show Geraldine Naidoo then came into my line of vision graciously allowing me to snap a few pictures of her before the show started. I would catch up with her later.


Geraldine Nadioo, Playwright and Director
Everything was going swell except when my colleagues arrived 10 minutes into the play. That is not correct etiquette when attending theatre. It’s a live performance in front of a live audience and this can be distracting to both actor and spectator.

As the play got under way I felt a keen appreciation for the discipline and creativity required from the husband and wife team to deliver outstanding comedic timing across a vast array of characters all acted by Matthew Ribnick.  I can’t wait to see their third production, Hoot. The performance was riveting and laughter and clapping abound in the venue.

Midway through the show I was overcome by nausea that had been building up slowly which led to me running out of the theatre. This distraction could not be helped. The seafood platter I ate earlier in the evening at Ocean Basket, Sandton had come for me in a bad way and promptly ended my outing. To think I waited nine months for this dish. It completely ruined my evening.


image source: matthew ribnick

No comments:

Post a Comment